Saturday, November 19, 2011

What is a good Scottish love song for a wedding (to be sung a cappella)?

I need a Scottish love song which can be sung a cappella as a friend of mine walks down the aisle at her wedding (in a Scottish castle). Aae Fond Kiss is the right style but lyrics are about separation, so not particularly apt! Suggestions please anyone?

What is a good Scottish love song for a wedding (to be sung a cappella)?
My Love Is Like A Red Red Rose





0, my love is like a red, red rose,


that's newly sprung in June.


0, my love is like a melody,


that's sweetly play'd in tune.





As fair thou art, my bonnie lass,


so deep in love am I,


And I will love thee still, my dear,


till a' the seas gang dry.





Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,


and the rocks melt wi' the sun!


And I will love thee still, my dear,


while the sands of life shall run.





And fare the weel, my only love!


And fare the well awhile!


And I will come again, my love.


Tho it were ten thousand mile!








Marie's Wedding





Chorus:


Step we gaily on we go,


Heel and heel


And toe for toe,


Arm and arm


And row and row,


All for Marie's wedding.





Over hillways, up and down,


Myrtle green and bracken brown,


Past the sheilings through the town


All for the sake of Marie.





Chorus





Red her cheeks as Rowan's are,


Bright her eyes as any star.


Fairest of them all by far,


Is our darlin' Marie.





Chorus





Plenty herring, plenty meal,


Plenty peat to fill her kreel.


Plenty bonnie bairns as well,


That's the toast for Marie.





Repeat Chorus











The only other Scottish songs I know are in Gaelic!


{and most of them do seem to be about loss, or parting}


No comments:

Post a Comment